home page English Site map Site map names of persons Databases recent additions News contact webmaster E-mail text search Search about this site Orientation página inicial Español

The British Club, Río Gallegos (estd. 1911)  

then ... club members: click for larger image
and now ...     club building 2003
Development of the southernmost region of Argentine Patagonia began around 1880. The British Club of Río Gallegos was founded on 18th April 1911, in the heyday of the sheep ranching industry. It occupies an attractive one-story building in the city centre, on Avenida Roca, 1 block north of Avenida San Martín. Despite the Falklands (Malvinas) dispute, the Club continues to function. Nowadays, the building has been partially adapted as a restaurant, but much of the premises (including the billiards room) have been retained for the use of members. A city ordinance of March 2001 designated it a "historic place".
Memorial Plaque

In the lobby of the building stands a plaque (dated 18 April 2000) to commemorate the British settlers who came to make their home in the region. It reads as follows (English translation supplied here):

The British Community contributed to the era
of settlement of the Santa Cruz territory
Today the descendants leave testimony of their names,
the gringos who stayed
[list of names]
and others whose tracks are lost in the wind 

Related Materials

List of Founders

List of Members (1921)

Register of Visitors (1935-1951)

Photo: (old) courtesy of Jesse Aldridge
Last updated: 25-VI-2014