home page English Site map Site map names of persons Databases recent additions News contact webmaster E-mail text search Search about this site Orientation página inicial Español

Municipal Cemetery, Punta Arenas (estd. 1894)


The cemetery was established in 1894, north of the town centre, on Av. Bulnes. Its massive ornamental gateway was donated by the wealthy businesswoman Sara Braun, in 1919. There are handsome grounds, adorned with many neatly trimmed evergreen trees. Mausoleums and grave sites now fill the land space, and new burials are placed in niches (there is also a modern, private, lawn-type cemetery further out of town).

Separate Protestant burial in Chile began with O'Higgins in the early days of the Republic, respecting the religious freedom of the British community in Valparaiso. Later, "Cementerios de Disidentes" arose in other towns and cities with a significant non-Catholic community. In Punta Arenas, the so-called British Section is actually somewhat of a misnomer, because several other nationalities are represented, including German, French, Norwegian and Chilean. The picture is further complicated by family tomb-stones which record parents of two different nationalities, as well as their Chilean-born offspring.

Lists of Names:  "British",  H.M.S. Doterel 

Given its grandeur, a Cemetery visit is included in many city tours. The Office has a complete, computerized database: they can look up names and direct visitors to the appropriate plot. Opening hours (2001) are daily, summer 8am to 7pm, winter 9am to 5pm.
To find the "Sector Inglés", turn right inside the gate. Follow the path marked "Las Primaveras" to the end. The Sector occupies the last two pathways on the right-hand side (Lines 3 and 4 of Sector 6).
Last updated: 11-III-2012